Dental assisting is rapidly growing, and career prospects are bright for those pursuing it. Dental assistants play critical roles in the dental office, working alongside dentists to provide patients with top-notch dental care. If you’re considering a career as a dental assistant, you’re likely wondering what training you need to become successful. Creekside Academy of Dental Assisting provides a comprehensive overview of dental assistant training so you can make an informed decision about your education.
Education Requirements: To become a dental assistant, you must enroll in an accredited dental assisting program provided by Creekside Academy of Dental Assisting in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. Completing our accredited dental assisting program and obtaining certification can help you stand out in the job market. And you can complete our program in just 12 weeks. Some dental offices may even offer on-the-job training, but most employers prefer to hire dental assistants who have completed an accredited program.
Coursework: Our program covers various topics, including dental anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and dental materials. You’ll also learn to take X-rays, sterilize instruments, manage patient records, and assist the dentist during procedures. Our program also covers topics such as:
- Placing a dental sealant: Dental sealants are thin layers of protective material that are applied onto the chewing surfaces of teeth to prevent cavities. Correctly placing dental sealants requires a high degree of skill and precision and is crucial for maintaining patients’ oral health. With the expertise gained from Creekside Academy of Dental Assisting, graduates provide exceptional patient care and help prevent the onset of dental problems.
- Crown and bridge clinical: Our comprehensive and hands-on training program gives students ample opportunities to practice the latest techniques and technologies in dental care. From lectures to clinical exercises, students can learn from seasoned instructors with years of experience in dentistry. With a focus on patient safety and satisfaction, Creekside Academy of Dental Assisting ensures its students are prepared to provide top-notch dental care to their clients.
- Patient clinical: Good communication skills are essential for dental assistants. Our program covers patient communication and how to create a positive experience for patients during their visit.
- Practical skills: You’ll learn the practical skills needed to assist a dentist, such as setting up procedures, taking patient medical histories and vital signs, recording digital images, and chair-side assisting.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR): Learning CPR is integral to dental assisting so that you can help in emergencies.
- Preventative treatment: You’ll learn how to educate patients on proper oral hygiene and the importance of preventative dental care.
In addition to classroom instruction, our instructors offer hands-on training. We assist in placement in a dental office to prepare students better for real-world situations and even provide career placement assistance.
Continuing Education: Dental technology and procedures are continually evolving, so staying up-to-date is essential. Dental assistants can continue their education by taking additional courses or attending conferences and seminars. Some states require dental assistants to complete continuing education courses to maintain their certification. Continuing education can help dental assistants advance in their careers by developing new skills and increasing their knowledge.
Professional Organizations: Joining professional organizations like the American Dental Association (ADA) or the American Dental Assistants Association (ADAA) can provide dental assistants with access to resources like job listings, continuing education courses, and networking opportunities. Professional organizations can also advocate for the dental assisting profession and help unite dental assistants across the country.
Dental Assistant Training for a Respected Career You Love
Pursuing dental assisting can be an excellent career choice, and dental assistant training can give you the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the field. Continuous learning and membership in professional organizations can also help you advance your career. Whether you’re eager to start your dental assisting journey or considering a career change, Creekside Academy of Dental Assisting offers a comprehensive dental assistant training program to prepare you for success. Contact us today to get started!